Luka Bulus Achi, FNITP
TPL Luka Bulus Achi is the current and 22nd President of the Nigerian Institute of Town Planners. Born and bred in Katsit, Anguwan Rimi Kafanchan in Zangon Kataf Local Government Area of Kaduna State. He graduated with a Bsc in Urban and Regional Planning from University of Dundee, Scotland and an Msc from Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria.
He worked as a lecturer for over 25 years, as General Manager of the Kaduna State Environmental Protection Agency, and as Director of Parks & Recreation Services in the Federal Capital (Abuja).
1995 Post Graduate Certificate in Environmental Assessment A.I. Wegnigan, Netherlands
1988-1990 M.Sc. (Urban & Regional Planning) Ahmadu Bello University Zaria
1977-1981 B.Sc. (Hons) Town and Regional Planning University of Dundee, Scotland, U.K.
1974-1976 Diploma in Town Planning, Kaduna Polytechnic, Kaduna
1972-1973 Higher School Certificate, Kufena College Zaria
1967-1971 West African School Certificate, Government Secondary School Zaria
1960-1966 First School Leaving Certificate, Senior Primary School Potiskum
Senior Clerical Officer, Kaduna Polytechnic
July 1975 – Oct 1975 Pupil Town Planner Officer, Ministry of Lands & Survey, Kaduna
July 1976 – Sept 1977 Assistant Technician II (Town Planning) Kaduna Polytechnic
Oct 1981 – Sept 1982 Lecturer in Urban and Regional Planning Dept, Kaduna Polytechnic
Oct 1990 – Sept 1995 Senior Lecturer in Urban & Regional Planning, Kaduna Polytechnic
1982-1995 Member of Planning Team In-charge of Consultancy Services in the Department of Urban & Regional Planning, Kaduna Polytechnic.
July 1991 – Dec 1991 Chief Consultant of EDRESS CONSULTANTS on preparation of Master Plan for 33 towns in Sokoto and Kebbi States.
Sept 1995 – March 1998 General Manager, Kaduna State Environmental Protection Authority, KEPA.
Sept 2000 – Dec 2001 Ag. HOD of Urban and Regional, Kaduna Polytechnic
July 2000 – Aug 2005 Chief Principal Lecturer Kaduna Polytechnic
Sept 2005 – Nov 2005 Deputy Director, Parks and Recreation Department AMMA
Nov 2005 – Sept 2006 Ag. Director, Parks & Recreation Department AMMA
Sept 2006 – Oct 2007 Director, Parks & Recreation Department, AMMA
Oct 2007 – Aug 2008 Director Security Services, Federal Capital Territory Administration
Aug 2008 – Aug 2009 Director Vision 20-20-20 under the minister Federal Capital Territory Administration
Aug 2009 – Oct 2010 Director FCT Archives and History Bureau Abuja
Oct 2010 – Dec 2011 Director, Parks & Recreation Department AMMA
Jan 2012 – To Date Principal Partner Envicons Team Consultant Ltd.
- 1976 : Best Student prize for the Final Year Diploma in Town Planning (Kaduna Polytechnic)
Chairman’s prize for best student in the College of Environmental Studies Kaduna Polytechnic
- 1989: Best student prize for the M.Sc. Ahmadu Bello University Zaria.
- 1990: Best Graduating student prize (NITP) for the M.Sc. programme Ahmadu Bello University
Best thesis prize for M.Sc. in Urban and Regional Planning Ahmadu Bello University Zaria
Professional & Social Affiliations
- Member Nigerian Environmental Society
- Member international Leadership Association- USA
- Fellow Nigeria Institute of Town Planners
- Member Environmental Management Association of Nigeria
- President, Baranza Youth Development Association
- National President Baranza Youth Congress
- Financial Secretary, Nigeria Institute of Town Planners, Kaduna Chapter
- Member, Nigeria Environmental Society
- Secretary, Thrift and Credit Co-operative Society, Kaduna Polytechnic
- Project co-ordinator, Advocates for Youth USA Sponsored Multi-Use Services Approach to Adolescent Reproductive Health, Kaduna
- National Internal Auditor, Nigeria Institute of Town Planner
- Vice Chairman NITP Kaduna
- Assistant National PRO, NITP
- National PRO, NITP
- 1st Assistant National Secretary NITP
- National Secretary, NITP
- 2nd vice president, NITP
- 1st vice president, NITP
Major Achievements Recorded
2006: Development of Abuja at 30 Park.
- Development of Unity Park in Abuja
- Identification and documentation of key parks/Green Areas in FCT.
- Building of and effective partnership on public private partnership policy of Government to Pioneer the development of recreational parks in the FCT. (The effort that stimulated the awareness on the use of importance of recreational parks in Abuja city Nigeria.)
- Initiation of internal revenue generation strategies for parks and approaches to achieve successful delivery.
2006 – 2007
International awards won for the department of Parks and Recreation includes:
- IFRA Award – Gold won for herbal garden, Silver nature trail, Bronze for cities with 1 million and above population,
- Green city award from UK.