LATE (DR.) FEMI OLOMOLA (FNITP) (PROFILE)
Tpl ‘Femi Amos Olomola. Ph.D; FNITP, (LATE) Was until his demise, the President of the Nigerian Institute of Town Planners. Born, December 1953; Yoruba; Ilesha, Osun State.
(a) OND (Town Planning), The Polytechnic, Ibadan, Oyo State, (1976)
(b) B.A (Hons) Town & Country Planning Second Class Upper) The University, Newcastle-Upon Tyne, (1982)
(c) Ph.D., Town & Country Planning The University, Newcastle – Upon-Tyne, (1987)
PROFESSIONAL AFFILIATIONS:- Fellow: Nigerian Institute of Town Planners; Member: Town Planners Registration Council of Nigeria; Elected member:- British Royal Town Planning Institute (June 1984).
PROFESSIONAL WORK EXPERIENCES Private Sector:-24 Years (1990 to 2016)
Managing Partner, Femi Olomola & Co, Consulting Town Planners, 4 Karimu Kotun Street, Off Akin Adesola Street, Victoria Island, Lagos State.
Some PROJECTS Executed:
- Review of the Obafemi Awolowo University (OAU) Campus Master Plan – on going.
- Development of a 65-hectare Atlantic Nominees Estate Residential Estate, Lekki, Lagos (on going).
- Preparation of Detailed Site Development Plan and Preliminary Engineering Design of Sector Centre G under Phase III of the FCC, Abuja (concluded)
- Appointed as an Expert in Urban Land Use Planning and Local Economic Development and Head of the team. The project is designed for operationalizing and development of Urban Structure Plans for Osogbo, Ikirun and Ila Orangun. (Concluded August 2014).
- Urban Environmental Planning and Management Consultant to UN-HABITAT/UNDP – As one of the three National Consultants appointed in the country who undertook assignment for the preparation of project documents for sustainable urban growth and development programme in Nigeria. This includes supervision of three city-based consultants (Enugu, Kano, Ibadan) for the immediate take-off of the programme in these three cities (concluded in January 1998).
- Campus Master Plans for nine federal government-licensed private polytechnics namely: Lagos City Polytechnic; Grace Polytechnic, Lagos; Nigerian Institute of Journalism, Ogba, Lagos; Ronik Polytechnic, Ejigbo, Lagos; Allover Central Polytechnic, Sango-Ota, Ogun State; Fidei Polytechnic, Gboko, Benue State;Interlink Polytechnic, Ijebu Ijesha, Osun State; Kings Polytechnic, Ubiaja, Edo State; Heritage Polytechnic, Eket, Akwa Ibom State.
Public Sector (7 Years)
- Rose to the post of Senior Town Planning Officer (1983/85), Ministry of Environment and Physical Planning, Urban Renewal Division, Alausa, Ikeja, Lagos.
- OLOMOLA A. O. et alEds (1999); Nigeria’s Endangered Environment: Agenda for a New Millennium; African Press Ltd, Nigeria (337p).
SELECTED CONTRIBUTION TO BOOKS:-
- OLOMOLA A.O. (1999); Nigeria: The Built Environment;Chapter 3 in Abiodun J. O. et al; (Eds) (1999): Nigeria’s Endangered Environment: Agenda for a New Millennium”, African Press Ltd, Nigeria (pgs 106-125);
- OLOMOLA A. O. (1999); Historical Review of Town Planning in Lagos before 1929; Chapter 3 in OLASENI A. M. (Ed); (1999): “Urban and Regional Planning in Nigeria – a collection of Readings”; Victory Printers Nigeria Limited (214 pp);
- OLOMOLA A. O. (1998); Nigeria’s Environmental Laws – A critical Review of Main Principles, Policy and Practice in Simpson & Fagbohun (Eds); (1998); “Environmental Law and Policy”; Law Centre, Lagos State University, Nigeria (Pgs 10-25).
MAJOR CONFERENCE ORGANISED:-
- OLOMOLA A. O. (1998); Member of the four man 1998 Dialogue Organizing Committee set up by the Obafemi Awolowo Foundation on the theme:-Nigeria’s Endangered Environment; Agenda for a New Millennium.
SELECTED NEWSPAPER ARTICLES/PUBLICATIONS
- OLOMOLA A. O. (2000); The Problems with Abuja;serialized in “The Guardian” Newspaper of Wednesday/Thursday 19th to 20th January 2000
- OLOMOLA A. O. (1996) The Federal Environmental Protection Agency (FEPA) and the Town Planning Authoritiesserialised in two parts in “The Guardian” Newspaper of Thursday/Friday 17th/18th October, 1996
- OLOMOLA A. O. (1982) Evaluating Degree. WEST AFRICA Magazine, 3rd May 1982, pg 1201 – 1203
Some Selected Papers Presented
- OLOMOLA A. O. (2007); Campus Master Plan Preparation and Review – A Comprehensive Overview being a paper presented at the 2007 Association of Town Planning Consultants of Nigeria’s (ATOPCON) Professional Development Workshop at Lagos State Airport Hotel, Ikeja, 7th/8thMarch 2007
- OLOMOLA A. O. (2006); Land Use Planning in Nigeria and Slum Preventionbeing a paper presented at the National Conference on Sustainable Slum Upgrading in Urban Areas organized by the National Assembly, House of Representatives Committee on Habitat, Wednesday 25th October 2006 at Shehu Musa Yaradua Centre, Abuja;
- OLOMOLA A. O. (2002); City to City Cooperation – Lagos State Perspectivesbeing a Lead Paper presented at the request of the Lagos State Government World Habitat Day Celebration Wednesday 13th November 2002,Main Auditorium, Alausa, Ikeja
- OLOMOLA A. O. (2000); Remodeling Housing Policies Towards Poverty Alleviation being a Lead Paper presented at the Shelter Africa 20004th International Conference on “Adequate Housing for Poverty Alleviation” held on 2nd to 6th October 2000 at NICON Hilton Hotel, Abuja;
- OLOMOLA A. O. (1999); The Implementation of Abuja Master Plan – A Critical Appraisalbeing the position paper of the Nigerian Institute of Town Planners prepared and presented on its behalf at the Workshop on The Review of Abuja Master Plan organized by the Ministry of the Federal Capital Territory and the Federal Capital Development Authority held at Sheraton Hotel and Towers Abuja, 29th November 1999 to 1st December 1999
- OLOMOLA A. O. (1999); Scope of Professional Service of the Urban and Regional Planner being course 3 in the pioneer Mandatory Continuing Professional Development Programme (MCPDP) organised by the Nigerian Institute of Town Planners in three centres. (Kaduna, Owerri, Ibadan) April, June, July 1999
- OLOMOLA A. O. (1998); Nigeria: The Built Environmentpaper presented at the 1998 Obafemi Awolowo Foundation Dialogue within the framework of the Dialogue’s theme “Nigeria’s Endangered Environment–Agenda for a New Millenium” held at the Nigerian Institute of International Affairs, Victoria Island, Lagos, 2nd to 3rd December 1998
- OLOMOLA A. O.(1996); The Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) Decree 86 of 1992 and the Town Planner paper presented at a seminar on Information Technology in Environment Impact Assessment organisedby the Nigerian Institute of Town Planners Oyo State Chapter at the Conference Centre, University of Ibadan. Thursday 29th August 1996
- OLOMOLA A. O. (1996); The Development Control: Enforcement Machinery under the Nigerian Urban and Regional Planning Decree 88 of 1992 paper presented as a Special Guest Lecturer at the First National Workshop on The Nigeria Urban and Regional Planning Decree 88 of 1992 organised by the Department of Private and Property Law University of Lagos – Thursday 22nd to Saturday 24th February, 1996
- OLOMOLA A. O. (1989) Identification and Categorization of Slums for Resource Allocation,Nominated by the Nigerian Institute of Town Planners to prepare and present the paper at a Symposium on Urban Slums and Rural Rejuvenation organized by the Association of Professional Bodies of Nigeria
Some Key Previous Posts Held
- National President, Association of Town Planning Consultants of Nigeria (ATOPCON); October 2007 to September, 2009
- Chairman, Lagos State Chapter, NITP – May 2000 to June 2002
- Chairman, Practice Committee, NITP – June 1996 to June 1998
- Vice-Chairman, Nigerian Institute of Town Planners, Lagos State Chapter June 1996 to June 1998
- Member, Ten-Man Lagos State Government Committee on Inventory and Audit of all High Rise Buildings on Lagos Island – May 2006.
Swimming, reading economic and political magazines and watching television documentaries notably on wild life.